If you plan to take care of chickens in your urban backyard, there is no better choice than the California White chickens. They have a high tolerance to small and confined spaces and can withstand cold temperatures outdoors. California White chickens are easier to keep and handle as backyard animals. This is due to their calm and gentle personality, prominent social skills, and somewhat quiet temperament. But most importantly, they are excellent layers of eggs, as they can lay at least three hundred large eggs annually.
What exactly is a California white chicken? A California White chicken is a sex-linked breed from the White Leghorn hen and Gray California rooster. They have the best of both worlds: the capacity to lay large eggs from the White Leghorn species and the gentle and amiable trait from the Gray California types. These chickens were originally developed during the 1930s in California for the commercial production of meat and eggs.
Now that you have brief information about California White chickens, discover more about this breed by knowing their identifying characteristics, the efficient ways of taking care of them, and other frequently asked questions about the said chicken variety.
Where Do California White Chickens Originate?
California White chickens originated from the state of California in the United States of America. This chicken type was developed in the 1930s when the White Leghorn was crossed with the Gray California breed. The combination of the said breeds was a result of the need to increase the commercial production of chicken eggs and meat.
What Do California White Chickens Look Like?
They mimic more of a White Leghorn chicken, although they are larger in size and have black markings in their feathers. As to color, the mature hens are typically white with some black spots on their lower backs, while the majority of the chicks are predominantly black. Their earlobes, combs, and wattles have a red coat, and they only have a single comb. The male chickens have an average size of 7 pounds or 3.2 kilograms. On the other hand, the females have a standard weight of 5.5 pounds or 2.5 kilograms. As of the present time, they do not have a known bantam version yet. In general, they have a good-looking appearance and a majestic stance.
Are California White Chickens Good Layers?
California White chickens are considered as very good layers. They start to lay eggs at 17 weeks old. These chickens produce 5 to 6 eggs per week, unlike other chicken breeds that only give an average of 3 eggs weekly. Thus, if you have at least 4 California White chickens in your backyard, you can have 2 dozen eggs in 7 days. This is the reason why they are regarded as egg-laying machines, as they can produce 300 large eggs in a year.
California White Chicken Characteristics
The following are the characteristics of a California White Chicken:
- They appear almost similar to White Leghorn chickens.
- These chicken breeds can fly at a height higher than what other chicken breeds can reach.
- The California White chicken breeds are not as loud and noisy as other chicken varieties, as they are quieter breeds.
- These chickens are an excellent layer of chicken eggs that are large to jumbo in size.
- California White chicken breeds can lay 5 to 6 eggs per week and 300 eggs per year from spring to late winter.
- They are a good source of chicken meat.
- These chicken breeds are social, friendly, and amiable towards other chickens and humans.
- They can thrive in small and confined spaces.
- The California White chicken breeds performed well in small to medium groups and free-range environments.
- They have a lower pecking order due to their docile characteristics.
- These chicken breeds can adapt to different weathers and temperatures, such as cold climates.
- These chickens are not costly or expensive when maintained or taken care of, as long as they are properly fed with food, watered, and provided with adequate shelter.
- They are at high risk of experiencing egg binding due to their ability to lay numerous eggs.
- These chicken breeds are not so much of a broody hen.
- Because of their hybrid status, they are not yet acknowledged by the American Poultry Association (APA). Thus, they still have no conservation status.
- They are easy to handle when taken care of in urban and industrial settings.
- Overall, they are chickens that are calm, quiet, and peaceful.
California White Chicken | Care Guide
If you want to properly take care of California White chickens, just follow these helpful steps:
1. Feed the chickens with a sufficient amount of food.
To provide energy and promote the growth of chickens, it is important to feed them with the right amount of chicken feed. As part of your daily care routine, always inspect for the presence of adequate provisions and refill them whenever necessary. You can do this by using large chicken feeders or battery cage poultry feeders. This can be very useful in dispensing chicken feeds. However, make sure to not overfill the containers when refilling them as it may lead to unnecessary spilling and wastage. Chickens love to peck on food repetitively, so it is essential that their feeders are well-kept and not stored with excessive provisions.
2. Inspect the water for the presence of dirt and refill it if necessary.
Aside from food, California White chickens also need a sufficient supply of water. Check the water supply daily and when you see that it is decreasing, refill it as soon as possible. Inspect for the presence of dirt or any unwanted particles as it may cause infections and diseases to chickens. Clean their containers regularly and throw away water containing poop, dirty shavings, straws, and other debris. These creatures do not like drinking contaminated water. In cleaning the said receptacles, you can utilize dish soap and water or, in some cases, chlorine or oxygen bleach as long as you rinse it thoroughly.
3. Monitor daily for the presence of eggs and collect them regularly.
Part of your daily task is to monitor your chickens for the presence of freshly-laid eggs and collect them thereafter. This is to ensure the cleanliness of eggs, minimize any breaks or cracks on them and guarantee their freshness. If you are utilizing the deep litter system, exercise caution and care in getting the eggs.
4. Observe the chickens for the presence of health problems and issues.
To ensure that the chickens are in good shape, always observe them for the presence of diseases and other health problems. Healthy and active chickens have eyes that are alert and bright, so when you see that a California White chicken has droopy and inactive eyes that are almost at the point of closing, it is possible to be sick. When this happens, isolate the said chicken immediately to stop the spread of any disease or infection that may be present.
5. Ensure the cleanliness of beddings and nest boxes.
Litter management is an important component in chicken care. If they only have a small coop, replace the beddings at least once a month. However, if they are in large flocks, you may utilize the deep litter method. You can use 3 to 4 inches of bedding upon commencement of the said method, and every month, add another bedding until it reaches 6 inches or more. As to the nest boxes, remove beddings and nesting materials that are soiled and contaminated. Furthermore, pull out cracked eggs or any unnecessary debris.
Starting a Chicken Egg Laying Business
Here are some of the important considerations, if you plan to start your own chicken egg laying business:
- Know and understand the egg-laying business. Having a comprehensive understanding of this industry can minimize the incidence of loss and failure. You should know the breeding habits, egg-laying behaviors, and the effective ways of taking care of chickens, including the needed equipment, tools, labor costs, and other expenses in managing the said business.
- Research about the target market. Identify the target market of your egg business and know the prices and services offered by them. This will give you an idea of how much the eggs will be sold, the profile of the consumers who constantly buy them, and the possible profit that can be acquired from the said business.
- Acquaint yourself with the state laws and regulations regarding the egg-laying business. This is an important step if you want to make your business legal and compliant with laws. Consumers trust businesses that are obedient to state regulations, so knowing and applying them would be very beneficial. This will also enable you to know the sanitary implications in opening an egg-laying business, such as the standards in operation, facilities, chicken care, and packaging.
- Properly raise the chickens and collect eggs thereafter. In order to obtain quality and fresh eggs, decide on the chicken breed to raise. The California White chicken is one of the excellent choices as it is a good layer and very convenient to handle. Make sure that these creatures are taken care of, fed with optimum food and water, and given adequate shelter, so that they can lay high-quality eggs. Once laid, collect them with care in order to prevent and lessen unnecessary breaks and cracks.
- Market your egg-laying business. If you want to gain more profit and reach numerous customers, it is advantageous to employ good marketing strategies. You can do this by posting your products on social media, distributing flyers, or putting business posters in public and conspicuous places. This is to orient and let them know about your products and services.
Related: How to Start a Chicken Egg Farm? | Tips and Guide
Here is a video about how to start an egg farm business:
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about California White chickens and their answers:
How Big Do California White Chickens Get?
California White chickens tend to be larger and bigger than other chicken varieties. The average weight is 7 pounds for males and 5.5 for females. Others may be larger or smaller than the said weight.
Do California White Chickens Go Broody?
California Whites are not one of the more broody chickens. There will be a need to wait or incubate the eggs using other methods. They are similar to the White Leghorn breeds that also brood rarely.
How Long Do California White Chicken Live?
California White chickens are expected to live for 5 years. But in some instances, it may reach 8 years when they are given adequate shelter, proper care, and safety. However, this may depend on other essential factors such as genetics, environment, and subjectivity to trade and business. The said considerations may either shorten or lengthen their lifespan.
If you are looking for a chicken breed that is easy to handle, amiable, and lays numerous eggs, the California White Chicken is one of the perfect choices. Not only can they lay 300 eggs per year, but they can also withstand confined spaces and cold temperatures. Thus, they are the ideal breed when opening an egg-laying business. Other than that, they are also friendly, calm, and quiet with people and other chickens. For this reason, you will not have major problems in raising and taking care of them. There will be a need to wait or incubate the eggs using other methods. They are similar to the White Leghorn breeds that also brood rarely.
Related: Top 8 White Chicken Breeds | Easy Identification Guide