Peacocks are one of the most beautiful and mesmerizing animals in the world. They have an enchanting and divine set of feathers that would truly catch one’s sight and attention. These feathers are adorned with fascinating and vibrant colors that are worthy of being called beautiful pieces of art. This is one of the reasons why many people desire to adopt them as pets in zoos and other animal facilities.
How much does a peacock cost? Well-grown and healthy peacocks can be found for less than a hundred dollars. The average price is 35 to 275 dollars. Peacocks with healthy and flawless body structures can cost higher than that. Peachicks can be purchased from 10 to 30 dollars.
In the text below we will cover more about these beautiful animals, the advantages of taking care of them, their significance in business and trade, and their nature, behaviors unique characteristics.
What Are the Different Peacock Types and How Much Do They Cost?
If you are interested in buying peacocks, here are their different types and the cost of each variety:
These peacocks are also known as common peafowl or blue peafowl. This type of peacocks is endemic in the Indian subcontinent. They are known for their vibrant blue colors, alluring fan-like designs, intricate head crests, and colorful eyespots. These peacocks are among the heaviest and largest peacock species as they weigh 5.95 to 13.22 pounds. Their average price is from 50 to 75 dollars.
They are a sex-linked breed and a color mutation from other peacock species which were developed in the United States in the 1960s. These peacocks have a chocolate brown color which becomes lighter when they start to molt. Their average cost is 200 to 250 dollars.
They have similar appearances with the India blue peafowl. The only difference is that their shoulders are black in color, and some of their body structures have a cream, rust, or metallic green tinge. They have an average price of 50 to 100 dollars.
This peacock type results from the Java Green peacock that was crossed with the Black Shouldered peahen. Compared to the India Blue species, the Spalding types are larger in size and have darker body structures and feathers. Their average cost is 75 to 125 dollars.
These animals have large and elegant tails. Their body structures are filled with green and blue patterns and white patches. They are about 7 feet and typically weigh 9 to 13 pounds. The average price of this peacock type is 175 to 250 dollars.
As can be implied from their names, this peacock classification has white feathers and body structures. However, they have slight discolorations on the crests of their heads and the ocelli of their tails. The average cost of each peacock is 200 to 250 dollars.
What Country Are Peacocks Native To?
The origins of peacocks may depend on their breed and variety. India Blue species are natives of India and Sri Lanka or what was known as Ceylon. Meanwhile, the Green peacocks came from Java and Myanmar, formerly Burma. On the other hand, the Congo peacocks are natives of the rainforests of Africa in the Congo region.
Can You Buy a Peacock as a Pet?
You can buy a peacock as a pet if the laws of your state allow people to sell and buy this kind of animal. However, they do not generally make a good pet as they have large body structures, are hard to train, can easily skip to your neighbor’s place, and excrete a lot.
Is a Peacock Dangerous for the Owner?
A peacock can be dangerous for the owner if it causes constant attacks on them. These animals are known to be aggressive and territorial. Once they feel threatened, they will not hesitate to cause harm and injury to their intruders. It may happen, and these are some of the reasons:
- This is especially true when a person or animal goes near the nests of peacocks who have just laid their eggs.
- When another male peacock gets close with their female partner.
- They can also attack people or properties when they chase for food.
- When they’ll see their reflections in cars as they will mistake it as a second giant bird.
Are Peacocks Legal to Own?
There are states which allow homeowners to take care of peacocks while owning these animals as pets is illegal in some areas. In the United States, fifty states are said to permit the owning of peacocks. In this case, it is important to know your state’s regulations. This is to understand if the said ownership is allowed and sanctioned by law.
However, it is not advisable to own certain peacock species due to their extinct and endangered status. A good example is the Green peacock variety. If they are subjected to further domestication, there is a possibility that their populations will significantly be reduced.
Are Peacocks Hard to Take Care Of?
Peacocks may be hard to take care of. These are some of the reasons:
- They have aggressive and territorial traits. Once you appear dangerous or suspicious to them, they will probably go active and perform defensive tricks on you.
- These animals entail a lot of space, typically a pen that is at least 10 feet wide and as high as 6 feet, due to their large body structures and long tail feathers. Otherwise, they can escape from your fence and cause a nuisance to other households, as these creatures love to jump and roam around.
- Not only that, they may cause disturbance to your neighbors as peacocks are generally loud and noisy, especially in their breeding periods.
- They are more likely to inflict damage to properties and plants because of their frantic behaviors. Thus, when they jump on things, there is a possibility that they will break or cause dents on them.
- Aside from that, taking care of them may be costly and extravagant. You will need a good amount of money to provide their nutritional requirements, particularly high-protein diets, and give them regular deworming treatments.
- You also have to constantly clean their pens as peacocks can go dirty all the time.
- Also, they are regarded as prey to other animals like coyotes, foxes, and raccoons. Some male peafowls do not go well with other males.
Here is a video about how to take care of peacocks and some facts about them:
Can You Let Peacocks Roam Free?
Peacocks may be allowed to roam free. However, this is subject to the employment of safety and preventive measures. These might include the following:
- Setting up large pens with high fences and wide spaces, as they may jump on the other side of the property and roam in other places.
- Also, if you want to keep these creatures free, you might need acres of land so as not to impede the boisterous movement and actions of the said animals. This is also advisable to prevent them from causing problems and nuisances to neighbors and owners of nearby structures.
Can You Keep Peacocks in Your House Yard?
Keeping peacocks in your house yard may be permitted if the laws and regulations of your state allow you to do so. There are suburban areas that oppose the adoption of peacocks due to their rowdy and exasperating behaviors; loud shrills and noises which may become an issue in the neighborhood. Therefore, you should consider the rules and regulations of your place to make sure that you are not violating any legal order.
Are Peacocks a Good Investment?
Peacocks can be good investments. Some of these reasons are the following:
- This is especially true when you want to do business out of them. People buy peacocks due to their large eggs and meat, their beautiful and alluring appearances, and the usefulness of their colorful feathers.
- There aren’t a lot of peafowl businesses in most places, so if this endeavor is uncommon in an area, it may be a good idea to start one.
- Also, you can buy peacocks and peachicks using small capital. These animals can be bought individually for less than a hundred dollars. When you commence the said business, the money you’ll spend will be doubled or recovered as these animals grow. They can lay at least a dozen of large eggs when in a broody mood or when their meat is sold to consumers.
Are Peacocks Easy to Breed?
It depends on how well you can tolerate the behavior of peacocks. These big creatures can be very carefree. They would constantly jump and roam in wide spaces, so you will somewhat need a large tract of land. Also, you might need more patience as peacocks tend to be quite noisy and commanding when taken care of.
As to their physiologic needs, providing them with a high-protein diet or feeding them with food that chickens would usually eat will be necessary. You can give them almost anything available like rice, pasta, bread, cracked corn, oats, dried dog food, mealworms, weeds, and even certain fruits and vegetables.
Are Peacock Feathers Worth Money?
Due to their vibrant colors and unique designs, many people buy peacock feathers. They are one of the best choices if you are looking for aesthetic and beautiful pieces of decorations. Their feathers are perfect as ornaments in houses, rooms, events, and gatherings, so they can be a bit expensive. Prices may depend on the type, size, design, and color of a peacock feather. In a pack of 12 feathers, the average price is 5 to 13 dollars, while a pack of 100 feathers that measure more than 35 inches costs 75 to 90 dollars. Thus, they can also be a good source of profit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about peacocks if you want to know them more:
What Are Peacocks Good For?
Peacocks have numerous beneficial purposes. Their elegant and gorgeous feathers add glamour and beauty to a place or occasion. Peacocks’ eggs and meat can be sold to consumers in order to gain profit. Thus, they can be used both for aesthetic and business purposes.
Other than that, they can also be kept as pets if it is allowed by the law in your place.
What Is Unique About Peacocks?
Peacocks are unique because of their beautiful anatomical structures. Their bodies and feathers have distinct colors and designs, which would surely capture one’s heart and attention. It would be difficult not to gaze or focus on its mesmerizing appearance when you see a peacock. This makes them extraordinary and exceptional among other animals.
Why Don’t We Eat Peacocks?
Although some parts of the world sanction the consumption of peacock meat, it is still uncommon to see people that cook and eat their flesh. Due to some peacock species’ rarity and endangered status, their consumption is usually frowned upon, as it will significantly contribute to their further extinction. Also, countries such as China consider eating their meat as taboo, especially when it involves the flesh of Green peacock species.
How Long Does a Peacock Live?
A peacock can live for up to 20 years if it is in the wild. However, when it is being held captive or kept as a pet, it can live for up to 40 to 50 years.
Peacocks are one of the most beautiful animals in the world. This is because of their body structures and feathers that are adorned with vibrant colors and fascinating designs. Each individual peacock has an average price of 35 to 275 dollars, while their feathers may cost 5 to 90 dollars. Thus, they can be both utilized for decorative and money-making purposes.
Related: 9 Chickens With Fluffy Heads | Information and Facts